Bajalia

Trading Places as we take a tour of the Bajalia work around the globe. From Orlando Florida to the ends of the earth - China, Afghanistan, Thailand, India and Africa. BaJalia International is a collaboration of for-profit and nonprofit that partners with artisans and entrepreneurs in undeveloped regions for the purpose of stimulating economic growth, while providing sustainable economic and social benefits to craftspeople. Support us at www.bajalia.com.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Embroidery Skills Search

We interviewed several self help groups to discover their embroidery skills and those of the other women in their groups. I, Debbie, took samples from others here in Afghanistan as well as antique textiles I purchased from Chicken Street to show them. The women all looked very closely at the samples and told us which ones they knew how to do. They were really studying each piece as they talked among themselves. As I was introduced to one group I was amazed at how grateful they were that I was here. They kept saying Takashur , thank you in Dari, over and over again while they pointed to their eyes and holding their hands over their hearts wishing me blessings in my work. Even with my limited Dari I was touched to the point of tears. Our translator explained to me all they said I was so honored and privileged to be sitting on the floor in Afghanistan with this group of women to see all that they were doing to empower themselves and each other.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home