Bajalia

Trading Places as we take a tour of the Bajalia work around the globe. From Orlando Florida to the ends of the earth - China, Afghanistan, Thailand, India and Africa. BaJalia International is a collaboration of for-profit and nonprofit that partners with artisans and entrepreneurs in undeveloped regions for the purpose of stimulating economic growth, while providing sustainable economic and social benefits to craftspeople. Support us at www.bajalia.com.

Thursday, September 13, 2007

A field trip to the Silk Fabric Wholesalers

I spent most of the day looking and buying silk fabric samples. My translator and a buyer went with me to the area of town where all of the fabric wholesalers are. After spending the previous day picking oiut all of the raw leather colors, I was ready to find matching fabrics.
Again we had a fight negotiating the prices as the "foreigner" was there. After explaining I was their designer helping them - again we negotiated what seemed to be a good price for fabric and cut several half meter swatches. So many steps to making new designs and a new line. I visited the workshop where

everyone is going to sew my new product samples and was so impressed that this fair trade handcraft place is so clean, light and the workers happy to see me. I spent the day designing with them and loking at some wallets they were making for a top US designer. What a difference Fair trade makes. We all left at 5:00 pm just like in America, but a very rare thing in China. What beautiful fabrics and colors a great creative inspiration. I can hardley wait to see what I am going to design with these new fabrics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home