Bajalia

Trading Places as we take a tour of the Bajalia work around the globe. From Orlando Florida to the ends of the earth - China, Afghanistan, Thailand, India and Africa. BaJalia International is a collaboration of for-profit and nonprofit that partners with artisans and entrepreneurs in undeveloped regions for the purpose of stimulating economic growth, while providing sustainable economic and social benefits to craftspeople. Support us at www.bajalia.com.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Buying Findings

I never knew how difficult it would be when I asked to go to the wholesale market to buy jewelry findings. What would have taken an hour or so in the US took about 4 or more hours. I had two of the associates on the jewelry project take me to the wholesaler to buy some jade beads, cloisenee, chinese coins and silver pieces so that we could use the same items available here in China to design some samples in the US for duplication. Well as soon as the wholesalers saw me with the girls the price went way up. The girls spent what felt like an eternity at each place explaining that the findings were not for me they were for them and I was teaching them what to make. They bartered and bartered and finally got the price they were used to. Then they picked through each bead and piece I bought so that they would be sure they were the best quality. Finally we got the right price , the best beads and I was on my way to the next appointment, beads and baubles in hand. I was so impressed with the business mentality and negotiating skills of the associates. These women were not going to be taken advantage of and no one was going to cheat them or me in any way. A far cry from the life they had before where they were pawns in others games. Their progress is astounding, and I am proud to be representing their jewelry line and helping with designs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home