Bajalia

Trading Places as we take a tour of the Bajalia work around the globe. From Orlando Florida to the ends of the earth - China, Afghanistan, Thailand, India and Africa. BaJalia International is a collaboration of for-profit and nonprofit that partners with artisans and entrepreneurs in undeveloped regions for the purpose of stimulating economic growth, while providing sustainable economic and social benefits to craftspeople. Support us at www.bajalia.com.

Monday, August 07, 2006

Our Trip begins with travel favor

From Susanne:
It is 9:20 am Monday here in Dubai. Looking at the clock on my computer it’s 1:22 am in Orlando. And we had great favor on the 13 hour flight from NY to Dubai. The woman upgraded us to Business class. We had mechanical seats that reclined almost flat, had our own 15 inch tv/dvd that I watched 4 movies of my choice. For lunch I had lobster, shrimp and fresh scallops. It was truly the Royal treatment!! The bathroom even had perfume, flowers, cloth towels and a full length mirror! I can say I’ve never experienced a flight like that. I can only imagine what First Class was like! So now we wait until 1:30pm to head to Mumbai, and free internet in the Dubai Airport- life is good. Not our usual way to travel under the non-profit budget.

What a great journey it has been already. Dubai is a veritable melting pot. There’s mosques in the airport about every 5 feet and you hear every language and see every manner of dress. Although one of my favorite experiences so far was standing in the ticket line. An African family with a small boy about 5 years old began a conversation with an Indian boy behind him that was about the same age. These two carried on quite the conversation about every kind of toy and game. What was their favorite action hero, their favorite Pokemon card and even about video games. But the African boy, regretfully and longingly looked at his father as he told the Indian boy he didn’t have a Playstation or even a Gameboy. I so wanted to take out my camera and capture this wonderful innocence. Kids are kids no matter where you are and differences don’t matter. They all speak the “same” language. What a good lesson for us all.

3 Comments:

Blogger Barbra said...

YOU ROCK!
I just typed a long message and lost it. I will type again later.
Hope your trip is a safe one and sounds like you are of to a "Royal" start.
Love you - Barbra

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinking of you Susanne and hoping you are well. Glad you got overseas before the security measures went up. I'm sure you and the team are well into the work there. We here in Florida wish you the best success.

Love always your friend and sis, Michelle =)

1:18 PM  
Blogger Barbra said...

Hey - hope things are going well in your travels. I can imagine that the country is just beautiful and that you are finding many opportunities for businesses for the women. Sounds like the trip is off to a great start.
Can't wait to hear about this adventure.
Things are going well for me, much better than before. I will fill you in when you get back.
Well, it is late and I have to get up early in the morning. Hope to read something from you soon. Have a safe journey.
Treasure this trip - it will be like no other. Love ya. Barbra

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home